Recent Events

Thursday 6 October 2022

Researching A Book Can Be A Magical Experience by Alex Pine

 

Alex Pine

For me, and I suspect for most authors, the writing process begins with an element of research. Whatever the genre of the book, it’s essential in this day and age that we get our facts right.

I write crime novels under various pseudonyms and my 24th book will be published in February. I’ve always enjoyed researching the various plots and characters and adding as much authenticity to my stories as possible. But some years ago, I also discovered that the very act of researching a novel can become a life changing experience. It began when I decided to develop a story involving a magician. I wanted the main character to be as real as I could make him and so I embarked on a journey into the world of magic.

I read up on the best-known conjurers. I viewed online as many of their acts as I could. And I became so intrigued that I felt an overwhelming urge to find out how they did what they did.

In a matter of weeks, I’d pushed the book to one side and was devoting virtually all my spare time to learning card tricks, coin tricks, and the many sleights of hand that have enthralled audiences for years. It’s true to say that I became obsessed with how to make objects disappear and how to change the Ace of Spades into the Four of Clubs in front of someone’s very eyes.

Eventually it got to the point where I felt the need to take my new found obsession to the next level. My family were surprised when I broke the news that I wanted to be a magician as well as an author. Incidentally, at that time in my life I was also working as a television news producer and journalist. Finding time to do it all was a really tricky business! (Get it?)

Anyway, I spent much of my time over the following six months learning the ropes and investing in the props I needed – including packs of cards, coin gimmicks, sponge balls, silks and wands.

When I was ready, I put myself out there as a close-up magician and to my utter astonishment the gigs rolled in. I performed at weddings, trade shows, parties, restaurants and corporate events. I focused on card and coin tricks and somehow managed to pull it off.

I operated under the banner TricksUK, complete with flyers and a website. And I kept at it for over four years while at the same time writing books and making TV programmes.

Sadly, I haven’t got around to writing the novel featuring the magician, but just coming up with the idea and looking into it led me down a path that proved so enjoyable and rewarding.

These days I only perform for friends and family and that’s enough to convince my grandchildren that I have real magical powers!
***
Alex Pine is the author of
The Winter Killer which is published on
13 October 2022.

It’ll be the third book in the bestselling DI James Walker series after

The Christmas Killer and The Killer In The Snow.

http://www.james-raven.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment