Recent Events

Friday 11 October 2024

Interview: Jill Amadio in conversation with Alice Zogg

 

Alice Zogg
was born and raised in Switzerland.
She met her husband, a fellow Swiss, in New York City, and the two made their home in the United States. The family relocated to Southern California in 1967, where they have resided since. She is an avid traveller and enjoys line dancing  and playing pickleball. 
She is the author of ten books in the R. A. Huber Mystery Series
as well as several stand-alone mysteries. 

http://alicezogg.com  

Jill:      You have written more than 20 books, all with 5-star ratings. In how many genres do you write (series/standalones/ non-fiction?)
Alice: I have only written 19 mystery novels available to the public. One book is a memoir, available only to me for giving to selected family members and friends.

Jill:      Which is your favourite genre? Why?
Alice:   My first 10 mysteries are a series. (R. A. Huber series.) The last nine are standalones. Personally, I find more satisfaction in writing standalones, where I can create new protagonists with each book.

Jill:       Your books include a mix of occupations and hobbies. Are you proficient in them?
Alice:     In some, yes, especially sports. For instance, in Final Stop Albuquerquechapter 1 starts with a heated match of racquetball where Huber competes with a man  ten years her junior. For crafts and hobbies, I interview the experts.

Jill:      What inspired your mystery series featuring R.A. Huber?
Alice:    When I was young, I dreamed of becoming a detective, which was out of my reach. So, I fulfilled my fantasy by creating the retired R. A. Huber, who be comes a private eye.

Jill:      How has your writing evolved over the years?
Alice:   My first couple of books were a learning experience.
I think that my writing has improved with each new work,

Jill:      Which book was the most challenging to write?
Alice:    That would be my first standalone, A Bet Turned Deadly. I wrote it in the first person from a man’s point of view. Turning my thinking into male gear was a new challenge for me.

Jill:      How do you decide on your settings? Do you visit them if they exist?
Alice:   Yes. I visit the locations in which I set my stories. My husband is a good sport and takes the hint when I suggest, “Let’s take a trip to such and such place.”

Jill:      Do you outline your plot or are you a seat-of-pants writer?
Alice:   I do not outline, which gives me freedom in my plotting. I know the location, the villain, the victim - - at least the first - - from the beginning. The rest falls into place as I plug along.

Jill:      What is your process for creating your characters?
Alice:    I’m not sure I have a process. They just happen.

Jill:      Was it difficult to break into publishing? What is your publishing history?
Alice:    I am self-published.

Jill:      Your latest book, A Doomed Reunion, is a short mystery of 170 pages. Why did you decide to keep it that length?
Alice:    Correct. This one is short. Either I have learned to get my point across with fewer words or have become lazy.

Jill:      Do you interview police for authenticity of their procedures?
Alice:   I have not interviewed any police officers directly, but I informed myself by asking people that know.

Jill:      Have you studied forensics?
Alice:   No, I have not.

Jill:      Do you have a disciplined writing routine?
Alice:   No. I just write when the urge comes over me.  

Jill:       What is your favourite and most successful marketing effort?
Alice:    I have to confess that I am no good at self-promotion. I write for my own pleasure and if people buy and enjoy reading my mysteries, it is a bonus.

Jill:     Tips for beginning writers?
Alice:  Keep writing and enjoy the process.

Jill: What is next?
Alice: I’m not planning anything right now, but inspiration might strike again.


Jill Amadio hails from Cornwall, U.K, like the character in her crime series, Jill was a reporter in Spain, Colombia,  Thailand, and the U.S. She is a true crime author, ghosted a thriller, writes a column for
Mystery People ezine, and freelances for My Cornwall magazine.
She lives in Connecticut USA.  Her most recent book is

No comments:

Post a Comment