Recent Events

Sunday, 13 September 2026

‘The Hiding Season’ by Ava Glass

Published by Penguin,
26 March 2026.
ISBN: 978-1-529-97200-9 (HB)

I had to ration myself when I was reading this book, because I didn’t want it to end.  I entered the world of Maya Landry who is wounded from a broken marriage and putting her life back together. She stumbles into the deadly world of organised crime when she makes a spontaneous change in her work routine. 

The remote mansion in the exclusive million dollar development that should have been empty for cleaning, contains a freshly murdered corpse.  She drives to a spot where she has phone reception and summons the police, but by the time they arrive, the body has vanished.  She is dismissed as a troublemaker, wasting police time, but the crime syndicate behind the murder do not like loose ends. She has seen too much, and they are hunting for her. 

She is extracted by undercover FBI agent Riley Maguire and his enigmatic colleague Amber, and her life on the run begins. She creates a new life for herself, finding work, friends and a fragile sense of security, but the relentless machinery of death and revenge does not rest. Her secrets are endangering the people she loves and she has no choice but to leave everything behind again. A frantic journey begins once more, but can she even trust her rescuers? 

This is a high tension, high-stakes story of deception, corruption and death, and also a love letter to America. The action travels from Montana to small town Texas, to Chicago, taking the reader on a classic road trip. 

 Without losing the tension of the plot, the author deftly conveys the atmosphere of endless roads, dusty pit stops, small town diners and soaring cities. The story winds itself to a shattering conclusion. 

We are not just readers, we are witnesses. Now read on.
--------

Reviewer: Jane Andreoli

Ava Glass is the author of the espionage series Alias Emma. A former civil servant and journalist, she once worked closely with spies, and that experience fuels her writing. Ava is the pseudonym for an international bestselling author who has written more than ten crime novels under another name. Her books have been bestsellers in multiple countries and have been published in more than twenty languages. Alias Emma is currently being developed for television by The Ink Factory. Join Ava’s bookclub and win free books on her website:

www.AvaGlass.co.uk

 

Jane Andreoli. I have been in love with words ever since my mother read me bedtime stories before I could read for myself. As a writer, I enjoy creating mysteries with twists in their tails, and I love a well-crafted plot. My literary heroes are Jane Austen for her superb social observations, Shakespeare for the amazing way he crunched the English language into new shapes to express his emotions, Margery Allingham for her satisfyingly convoluted plots and Phil Rickman for his masterful command of supernatural atmosphere.  I also love Douglas Adams and Sir Terry Pratchett for their humour, satire, and social commentary. I have an honours degree in English, but fortunately that was so long ago that I have forgotten all those pretensions and rediscovered the joy of creative writing.  I am now a published author, currently working on my next book. I have just reached that delicious stage where the characters become autonomous and start making their own decisions.  Anything could happen and probably will.

No comments:

Post a Comment