Recent Events

Sunday, 16 August 2026

‘I think We Should Kill Other People’ by L.M. Chilton

Published by Head of Zeus,
9 April 2026.
ISBN: 978-1-035920761 (PB)

Such an unusual, but completely unputdownable book. Set in a reality TV show, where two people are to marry and, according to the researcher of the television show, live happily ever after. 

In this case the Cinderella who meets her Prince Charming, is an impoverished and out of work waitress, with a father who has served time in jail. The prince is the son of a billionaire drinks manufacturer. They have been flown to Iceland to get married in a castle there. Unfortunately, our Cinderella loses her nerve and runs away at the last minute. She gets as far as the airport only to find there are no planes, as a bad snowstorm has grounded everyone. She then finds herself waiting at the airport along with the billionaire’s family, all trying to get home. A murder takes place and while we are trying to work out who, from the family and our Cinderella was where, in this deserted airport, another murder happens. 

Now no one is safe, and no one can be trusted. And AI becomes a main character.

The plot is much more complicated than one thinks at the beginning, as, is the case of every good murder mystery. Things reveal themselves slowly and show us a completely different story. 

We are kept on our toes as whether this will turn out to be a romance where they will live happily ever after, or a set -up and a much darker story. 

As I speedily turned the pages, all loose ends started to tie in, and I realised this isn’t what I thought it was. It is in fact, an extremely well put together jigsaw of a story, meticulous in planning and playing out. 

This is a first novel, and a very clever one. It kept me guessing all the way through. It is also highly entertaining, and extremely page-turning. I lost a night’s sleep as I couldn’t put it down, so I read it in one go. I very much recommend this book, as much as I look forward to the next from L.M. Chilton, a very clever writer.
---------
Reviewer: Linda Rega
Lindareganonline.co.uk

L.M. Chilton is a journalist with fifteen years' experience working on TV shows such as This Morning, Loose Women and The One Show, as well as writing columns for Cosmopolitan, Glamour, Metro and The Mirror. He lives in London, thinking of twists for murder mysteries while practising the banjo, much to the annoyance of his neighbours. Don't Swipe Right is his debut novel.

Linda Regan is the author of nine crime novels. She is also an actor. She holds a Masters degree in critical writing and journalism, and writes a regular column, including book reviews, for three magazines. She also presents the book-club spot on BBC Radio Kent. She is an avid reader and welcomes the chance to read new writers.

  Linda's most recent book is
 
The Burning Question
click on the title. 
www.lindareganonline.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment